Scholarship Committee


The BCRPVPA Scholarship Committee was established quite some years ago when a couple of scholarships, each worth $500, were awarded to graduating students.

Over the years we have tried to direct awards to students who not only achieved a high academic standing, but who also demonstrated excellent service both in their school and community.  Often such students also achieve very well in sports or music activities.  The awards from the BCRPVPA are also available to students who may choose to enter the trades rather than attending university.  In awarding the scholarships, the committee is also very aware of considering any students whose family is financially challenged.

In recent years we have seen the number of annual scholarships awarded increased “up to 5 annually”, and have also seen the amount awarded to students increased to $1000.

The committee has been very pleased to see the number of students applying for scholarships increase year over year.  This year we had a record 35 applications for scholarships, and it was extremely difficult to choose the most deserving students, knowing that so many of them were of such a high standard.  In recognizing this, a motion was passed at the last Executive Meeting of the BCRPVPA, to request an increase of scholarships that may be awarded “up to 7”.  This request will be presented at the Annual Meeting of the BCRPVPA next May for final approval.

Here are some comments received from our recently successful applicants:-

  • Thank you so much for the amazing news! I am so grateful for the honour and support, the scholarship will help with the burden of finances this semester which will be so so helpful for my studies and volunteer endeavors.
  • Thank you so much to the BCRPVPA Scholarship Committee and the association for bestowing a scholarship upon me.
  • Thank you for this great news! I really appreciate your help in financing my education. At university one activity I’m really excited about is volunteering at Kaleidoscope (a program where university students devote one hour of their time per week to go to an elementary school and help at-risk kids through working with them one on one). Without scholarship funding programs like these would be hard for me to participate in since I would have to devote more of my time to a part-time job and would have less time for volunteer work.
  • Thank you very much for selecting me as a recipient of the BCRPVPA Scholarship this year! I am so grateful for the support and generosity of the BCRPVPA in helping me to pursue my goals.

The following message was forwarded to all the unsuccessful applicants:-

“Thank you for submitting your application for a BCRPVPA scholarship.  The scholarship committee met recently and reviewed all the applications received.

We regret to inform you that your application was not selected.

The competition for these scholarships was very strong and the application packages received were outstanding.  We are humbled to know there are such worthy candidates – yourself included.

On behalf of the BCRPVPA, we wish to thank you for your interest, and to commend you on your achievements to date.

We wish you all the best for a successful future.”

It was so heartwarming to receive the following note back from one of these unsuccessful applicants:-

I love that you are sending out positive words of encouragement to all the applicants. Keep it up!

It is so very rewarding to sit as a member of the Scholarship Committee, along with Christine Johnson and Allan Buggie!

Respectfully submitted

Jeff Larcombe